Wednesday, December 16, 2015

What it's like to live on the African Mercy

I was very apprehensive coming onto the ship because I have never lived in such close proximity with so many people. Before I came I heard that we would be placed in a birth (room) with between 6 and 10 people. Hearing that had me worried as all of those people would be women.

So I was placed in a 6 berth cabin which is about the size of my bedroom. This means that I live in VERY close contact to those around me. We sleep in bunk beds and are lucky to have cubicles with curtains on each one so that we have a little bit of privacy. I had such lovely welcome words on my door when I arrived. I sleep on the top bunk which can be quite interesting when you have to use the bathroom at night as there have been certain stories of people falling down the ladders. My roommate is such a sweetie. She is an older lady from Switzerland who doesn't speak much English but tries her hardest to always make sure that I am comfortable and ok. At night when I need the bathroom she will turn the light on if she hears me getting up.

My cupboard is a lot bigger than what I thought. I could of easily brought more clothes but they wouldn't be needed as I am in scrubs all week long. We also have shelves to put our books and other things on. Our cabin has its own bathroom with a shower and toilet. We even have space in our cabin for a shoe rack which saves alot of space.

Living with so many people definately has its pros and cons

Pros:

  • Always someone to talk to at any time of the night
  • Fashion consultant instead of a mirror
  • New experiences e.g. people eating weird things
  • Learning new languages
  • Infinite possibilties of meeting new people because there are always people arriving and departing 
Cons:
  • Hard to get alone time unless you leave the ship
  • Sharing a bathroom with 5 other people does cause some challenges when you need to pee
  • Misunderstandings that arise from living with people with different cultural backgrounds
  • Everything is new and it takes a while to settle in



My beautiful room (top bunk)
P.S Since I started writing this blog I have moved into the cubicle next door (still in the same cabin). I have a really awesome bunk buddy whom provides me with CRAZY amounts of humor haha. 




No comments:

Post a Comment