Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What is your "Love Language"?

We had a very interesting lecture the other day done by our new pediatric lecturer on adolescent disorders. What stood out for me though was the part when she did a test on us to find out our different love languages. She only had the test for adolescents on her but I have searched for adult tests so that you can figure yours out too. Here are 2 options:
http://bethelchurchquesnel.com/5%20love%20languages.htm
http://www.5lovelanguages.com/assessments/30-second-quizzes/love/

I have always wondered why some relationships don't work or why there seems to be a miscommunication between two people in a relationship. It is often because everyone expressed their love differently and the person receiving it might not respond to that way of showing love.

When I did the test I figured out the my strongest love language was that of "quality time" which makes so much sense now that I think about it because I love it when people take time out of their day to surprise me with a visit or just invite me out to have a good time with them. I am definitely not one for communication over BBM, SMS, Facebook etc because it really is meaningless conversations and people read you wrong. Face-to-face time with another person can not be replaced in my eyes. My second most important love language is "acts of service" which I didn't realise mattered to me so much until I did the test. I live quite a busy life especially because I study Occupational Therapy and therefore I don't have a lot of time on my hands. When my mom goes out of her way to help get me the supplies I need for the next prac day or goes and makes me tea while I am studying, I feel such love from her and I know she doesn't expect anything in return (yes I do have THEE best mom).

It also helps to figure out those love languages that you don't respond to. I scored a one for "words of affirmation" and therefore it is the lowest ranked on my list. My most recent relationship was tough because that was the way that he expressed his love and I just don't respond to it because I am an "actions speak louder than words" type of girl. This made it really hard because you need to communicate and show your love in a way the other person will feel the love you are trying to put across. You do however need to step out of your comfort zone and put that other person's love needs first too.

I really encourage all of you that read this blog to go take the test and figure out what your love language is because it really can change the way your relationships work. To those of you who have kids I would encourage you to figure out their love language because it might not be the same as yours and you could then learn how to communicate your love effectively to them. I really hope this specific blog post is read by all of you because I know it has helped so much with my way of expressing love and knowing how I respond to others doing the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment